Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Managing Post-College Risk

Upon coming to U of I my freshman year, I was torn as to what I wanted as my major.  I was admitted into DGS (General Studies) because I did not know whether I would ultimately end up in engineering or economics.  I knew that both majors provided great opportunities in the professional world, so I was not too involved in managing my post-college risk at this point.  However, I did have to manage the risk I would face in college.  Did I risk going the engineering route and having my gpa suffer or did I go with economics (which I liked better) and have a higher gpa.  I ended up choosing economics, not necessarily for the gpa reason, but because I couldn't see myself being passionate enough to take the difficult engineering classes.

In choosing my major, I knew that economics would offer some financial stability after college.  Economics required both math and written skills which translate into the ability to think critically.  Critical thinking is a skill desired by most employers.  I also knew that economics gives way to a broad job market where I could pretty much go into whatever profession I wanted.

In terms of activities I am involved in, the main one is being the President of my sorority.  In choosing this position I was not thinking about how this would effect me post-college.  I was more concerned with my satisfaction in college and doing something that I really wanted to do.  Looking back on my decision, this does help with managing post-college risk as leadership is a key skill that employers want in a potential employee.  As President, I am presented with the opportunity to lead a group of 180 women each and every day.  This experience is extremely valuable to my future as I will end up managing at some point in my career.  This leadership also helped build my confidence, which is beneficial to having a job and taking risks on the job.

While making decisions in college, I had some awareness of the post-college effects; however, most decisions were made to increase my satisfaction with college.  As long as I had the possibility of financial stability after college, the specifics of what I wanted to do in college could be based more on personal preference.

2 comments:

  1. The way you describe things, majoring in economics is itself a kind of safety play. I hope that is true for you, though I don't know if the data bears it out. It would be interesting to learn how recent graduates from the department are faring in the job market and/or with attending some post-bachelors form of education.

    I agree with you that college should be enjoyed for itself. Doing that need not preclude preparing yourself well for the future, as some of your other points suggest. But, of course, there are ways to entertain ourselves in the present that don't have any value down the road. So some balancing is necessary. It sounds like you've done well that way.

    I should also point out there are things you can't insure yourself against that might significantly impact your job market post graduation. We are nearing the time when Congress may shut down the Federal government. If that happens, who know what impact it will have on the economy? It's hard to envision anything but it causing the economy to falter. This just to say there is some risk that the economy will return to recession before it really has had time to fully recover from the last one. If it were to happen, before your graduated, it would obviously lessen your prospects of finding a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one of my intro microeconomics textbooks, I remember reading that economics majors fare well in the job market, situated in the top 5 income-earning majors.

    I was involved with a business fraternity on campus, and I thought that would be a good way of reducing future income risk, but ultimately, I don't think employers care about involvement in such activities. I do think that in your position as president, however, that there are definitely some coordination, communication, and time-management skills to be learned. Good luck out there!

    ReplyDelete